Friday, June 13, 2014

Welcome!


This mat newly beckons welcome at the front door of our classroom. I don't exactly remember when my grandmother gave it to me, perhaps I was gifted it after she died. At any rate, it's been my welcome mat at every place I've lived since it first came into my hands. Apparently the marbles were stomped into place by my Uncle Bobby when he was 8 or 9 years old. I think it's missing some marbles. I remember exactly how this looked, along with the ambient sounds and quiet sounds at the back door to my grandparent's place outside of Goldendale, Washington.

It's even more special knowing this welcome mat graces the entry to our home in this historic building that used to be a Grange Hall for the local farmers and residents. I like to believe Grandma and Grandpa would be extra proud knowing Chad and I were inspired to restore and breathe new life into this beautiful place. Inez and Howard Bratton were Grange members for many years.

I've been thinking about my Grandmother quite a bit lately. Like last night when the full moon shone brightly in the clear country air. Or when we work in the garden, I can see Grandma in her flowered dress, walking behind her old, single-wheeled garden hoe. I've often dreamt of a quiet rural life with my happy family. It seems as though Chad and I have a real chance at creating a viable, productive and prosperous life in a special place. I'm glad for many of the sensibilities I learned being a part of the life my grandparents built together. 

I think I'll go listen to the The Entertainer, a popular piece for our family to play on Grandma's piano.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment