Monday, July 14, 2014

What Makes a Weed?


This is the head of a wavy leaf thistle I pulled out of the canyon last year and planted at the cabin. I find many of the naturally occurring plants in this part of the world to be very attractive. Why not make the most of them? 

When first transplanted, the thistle didn't do that great. I overwatered it, trying to give it an edge over it's thistle brethren left back in the canyon. Once I figured out these thistles really are a desert plant, preferring drought, I backed off watering and it seemed to slowly recover.

This year, our special thistle sprang forth! It's huge! In my opinion, it's also beautiful and definitely loaded with giant pink'ish flower heads bees and butterflies adore. I love the spiky dusty green color of the leaves.

Yep, It's a thistle. I've gotten teased and queried several times. Why are you planting weeds?! It's a weed! You planted a thistle...? Don't you know that's a weed? It's going to spread everywhere....

What makes this beautiful thistle a weed and other plants not a weed, exactly? Because it's now beautiful is it no longer a weed? Is it still just a beautiful weed? Or at some point does the quality of the experience tip the scale into a garden quality "plant"? I find the architecture, scale, size and color of this thistle PLANT to be stunning and interesting. Definitely in the top 5 of anything I've planted, ever. This thistle has singlehandedly created it's own bouquet of bees, butterflies, moths and small sunflowers which are protected from voracious deer within the boundaries of it's thorny self.


      

It's curious this epic piece of greenery could still be viewed as a weed and therefore undesirable. It hardly takes any water. It's local and adapted perfectly well to it's environment. If you live in Eastern Washington, I recommend this particular variation of thistle. It's a dramatic addition and more readily available than say, an ornamental artichoke. (Which are also beautiful, like Jurassic-sized thistles). 

In the world of "weed control" I'm collecting the seed pods before they bust open and make a mess for the neighbors. So relax.

With all that said...

These horrid scotch thistles are taking over our garden! And, guess what? I hate them! For all my high minded ideas about beautiful weed/plants, I feel cursed by these obnoxious, irrepressible little weeds. Payback for purposely planting that other thistle. These green demons erupt over night, and seem not to care when you grab them by the root and throw them in a heap. It's as though they crawl back to their original hole and root themselves back into place! Add water and they multiply like Gremlins. We could spend hours picking them. They aren't pretty. To date, I've been trying to kill them with my bare hands, gloves would help. They hurt my feet when I step on them. 


They are even more irritating because I am now aware "weed" only exists in the eye of the beholder. Given my heavenly and peaceful wavyleaf thistle experience, I know I am hating these scotch thistles by choice, which is further irritating. 



I must start carrying my regular camera around with me! I love this image of the bees on the head of our beautiful thistle blossom. When I whipped out the iPhone to snap a pic there were only two bees. At the moment I pushed the button a third bee photobombed us. Which brings me to...wow, the power of embracing process! An element of photography that often blows me away has to do with the process and timing of things. Synchronicity and Delightful Surprises. Plant thistle year one. Year two, thistle explodes with drama and color and right when you take a photo three bees collect to pose for one, unpredictable and precious moment that is forever captured. These beautiful, synchronistic and precious moments expand to the degree the images/moments shared.

Our coach, Caron, is fond of saying "Where focus goes, energy flows and results show". For example, focus on ugly and you get more ugly. Focus on beauty, and you get more beautiful. This concept of focus expanding results points to why I believe art can change the world. Three bees, one thistle, inquiry, process, being with, snap photo and now, untold numbers of people can reexamine, even if for a nanosecond, their automatic judgements about how life is supposed to work. Also they are free to contemplate and enjoy the pretty colors and the inherent wonder of nature. Focus on Beauty, Beauty expands.  

We would love to hear your xeriscaping successes and see your favorite images of ugly weeds. 








No comments:

Post a Comment